Thursday 3 February 2011

Letter to Read (No. 1): After the News - KaBOOM!

Dear Ian,

It was quite a shock to say the least, when we knew what was going to happen.  I mean, who would have thought?

We, little busy bees working on our projects what do we know about the corporate decisions? and suddenly, KaBOOM!

A meteorite could have fallen into Sandwich with less moral devastation.  Texts and phone calls to family and friends.  What are we supposed to do, hein?  When your world falls apart little piece by little piece, you don't feel so great, let me tell you.  But we are resourceful people, right? of course!!! we'll bounce back you will say.  Goes without saying.  What else can you say?  Good friends are there to cheer one up, isn't that right?

Oh, Ian, if only you knew.  I started reading some comments from the internet.  I know that you are super busy, you can't follow-up all the news and comments on the web.  Let me help you out.

An interesting one, written by a guy somewhere (I'll try to track it down, can't remember where it was...I've read so many comments) was saying, **read carefully**, that his girlfriend was offered a job in Pfizer Sandwich after leaving Academia because she felt there were no opportunities for a long term career as a post-doc.  She was super excited AND, watch out, SHE WAS SUPPOSED to start next week (or was it this week?).

You get the picture: BEFORE getting even started, she will be ALREADY redundant.  A bit of a moral blow, don't you think? I hope that you will personally apologise to her when you have time in your busy diary.  Just a phone call.  After all, we asked Gordon Brown to apologise over and over for some stuff that wasn't even really that important (some of it might have been of importance, can't remember now, I've got my own problems as you know).

Just think, Ian, since I know that you are a person of great moral character: how would you feel? I know I can trust that you'll be "in-sync" with this person.  C'mon lad, give her a call.  I'm sure she'll understand.

OK, got to go now, I don't want people to think that I'm doing nothing.  More later.

Have a nice day.

Yours truly,

Letter to Read

No comments:

Post a Comment